SCOTT MCKERCHER EVO VIDEO CLIP
NEW EVO 70
More accessible, more fun and EVOlving the standard of equipment used in wave competition. The EVO project headed by Scott McKercher changes the way we think about wavesailing and wave boards.
When the EVO was first introduced at the 2003 PWA event in Vargas, our team riders used stock standard EVO boards, those who did not have one borrowed from their team mates. The new level of performance in less than perfect conditions was obvious to all.
Scott McKercher, # 5 in the world of wavesailing:
"Now we've come up with a board that is so easy to sail, yet has an extreme performance to it as well."
These are the reasons why I use the EVO's and would recommend anyone to take one for a spin to get to the next level of wavesailing.
Max WIDTH and TAIL width
- Makes the board extremely stable
- Keeps speed through the flat part of the waves.
- Easier to initiate and maintain speed down the line.
- Incredibly easy climbing over whitewater.
- Extremely responsive for a board of this size. - (Due to shorter rail lengths)
- Jumping ability at slower speeds. (A lot of height and projection)
- Recovery from imbalance is made easier
INCREASED RANGE OF CONDITIONS.
- A smaller sail can be used in most conditions enabling more control and reduced weight.
Light wind wavesailing conditions that once were unsailable with any level of performance are now possible, even with the use of smaller sails. A parallel outline provides performance in better quality waves (Holding a line at speed)
Scott McKercher: "Why I like it"
"I've never had a board project out of the lip as fast as an EVO, with
amazing projection into aerials and jumping, thanks to the width of board
coming into contact with the lip."
- Onshore ability is sensational with a remarkable amount of backside projection.
- Allows me to hit the lip later, with an natural ability to climb up over sections.
- Projection out of the lip in an aerial can be up to twice as good.
- Landing from airs is incredibly soft and safe. (Like training wheels).
- Good rotational motion when you hit the lip or do an air.(Great for tweaking)
- The wider tail makes it quick onto the plane and initiates a turn easier at slower speeds.
- The short length also delivers a more responsive board, but at the same time due to the width, extremely forgiving.
Finally a performance board for the BIG MAN. In the past this size of wave boards have been so large it's taken them beyond the capability of performance. (Previously held back by extreme length, width and volume taking away any chance of sensitivity) With reduced length and thickness, increased stability and maneuverability, the 92 is a board to match the mindset of someone who wants to rip, but in the past hasn't had a board to match weight and performance level.
Scott McKercher: "For myself at 83 kgs, I took out the 92 in no wind at all, and I was almost ankle dry, then the wind kicked in and I was able to throw it around to pop aerials like never before on such a big board. I was truly amazed"
"The board that this concept EVOlved from. Easy to sail, fun to use, with
extreme performance capabilities to match. No waiting around, be the first
guy out every time. When it's just not windy enough to go out on your
conventional board, take out the Evo. This board would suit the 90 Kg sailor
as an allrounder, or a 75 Kg person's light winder. It looks big, but feels
small, giving stability plus incredible looseness. It's short length, with
parallel outline gives incredible drive in marginal conditions and maintains
a rail when driven at speed. It gives you confidence, and maintains speed;
it gives you everything that you need to rip it up."
"Sensation/Revelation/EVOlution. This is what this board will be referred
to. This board makes high performance sailing easy. The wider nose and mid
section still provides stability and the confidence to charge sections and
the pulled in tail allows the handling of speed. From Hookipa to Pozo, it
loves down the line as well as Onshore wind. From 5.5-3.5, it covers all
possibilities. This is the ULTIMATE waveboard."
Test report by Wind magazine France:
"More than a new simple evolution for modern waveriding,
the Starboard EVO is taking us to a new world with a wave board easy to use,
more versatile, and more exciting for all!" Much more stable and forgiving
than a "Classic" wave shape, with an exceptional vitality in the maneuvers
and surf. It also has the highest performance in terms of acceleration and
speed, incredibly versatile in a wide range of conditions. Starboard's EVO
is the first ever wave board which efficiently suits top hardcore wave
sailor's needs and also "waverider - learners" looking for ease of use."